[BioC] How to reduce two GRanges simutaneously

Niu, Liang (NIH/NIEHS) [E] liang.niu at nih.gov
Mon Apr 7 20:40:30 CEST 2014

Dear Herve,

I have a question: suppose that I have two GRanges of the same length, say x and y, where x[i] and y[i] are two genomic ranges that are paired. What I want to do is to reduce x and y simultaneously, i.e., combine (x[i],y[i]) and (x[j],y[j]) when x[i] overlaps with x[j] and y[i] overlaps with y[j]. Ideally, I would like an output in the following format:

range_x            range_y            count

where the range_x and range_y are the reduced ranges, and count is the number of records associated with the chr?:???-???  and  chr?:???-???. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Liang