[BioC] edgeR and calcNormFactors manually

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 18 03:26:51 CEST 2014

Dear Scott,

Normalization scaling factors are specific to each library, so you cannot
meaningfully compute them for one set of libraries and copy the results to
a larger set of libraries.

If you try to explain what you are actually trying to achieve, we might be
able to give you some advice.

As it is, I don't yet understand why you aren't simply using
calcNormFactors() in the way it is intended, which would be to apply it to
all libraries at once, or why you need to do any prior ad hoc scaling.

Not sure what you mean by an 'input' sample, because 'input' is usually
associated with ChIP-seq rather than RNA-seq.

Best wishes
Gordon