[BioC] Testing sensitivity and specificity on random biological sequence

Jiří Hon xhonji01 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Apr 22 23:15:56 CEST 2014

Dear Bioconductor community,
we developed a package for detecting potential intramolecular triplex
patterns in DNA sequence
(http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/triplex.html)
and we're going to review the sensitivity and specificity measures of
the detection algorithm. But we are doubtful what is actually the right
way to do that, I mean how should we generate random testing DNA
sequences to get relevant results?

We found some articles citing the uShuffle tool
(http://digital.cs.usu.edu/~mjiang/ushuffle/) so that might be the
direction. But we are curious if someone from Bioconductor community has
some other experiences with solving this problem. We would be really
thankful for that.

So what tools do you use for this purpose? And what sequence properties
(k-let counts, etc.) you think should be preserved?

Thank you a lot,
Jiri Hon