[BioC] error when using waveTiling package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Apr 28 21:08:08 CEST 2014

Hi Chris,

In the future please try to follow the posting guide, and supply us with
something reproducible and your sessionInfo(). Otherwise, you are in
essence expecting somebody who might want to help to either already know
what that means, or to have the time and inclination to figure it out.

On 4/28/2014 1:46 PM, chris blazier wrote:
> I am running into an error at the "sigProbes" step of the waveTiling pipeline. If I skip the background correction and quantile normalization step I don't have the error (though it is not a good idea just to skip these).
>

> Here is the step where I get the error (P. 3 of the waveTiling "vignette" PDF file):> delta <- log(1.2,2)
>> leafdevInfCompare <- wfm.inference(leafdevFit,
> + contrasts="compare",delta=c("median",delta))
>

> The error is:
> Error in sigProbes[[i]][1:(length(sigProbes[[i]]) - 1)] :
>    only 0's may be mixed with negative subscripts

Consider the following:

 > (1:10)[1:(length(character(0))-1)]
Error in (1:10)[1:(length(character(0)) - 1)] :
   only 0's may be mixed with negative subscripts

This is the error you get when you try to programmatically subset
something and you don't consider the situation where your (in this case,
sigProbes) subsetting item might have a length of zero.

If this is something you are doing in your own code, then I would
suggest trapping that error (e.g., in the case that there are no
sigProbes, you want to return NULL or NA, or 0, or whatever.

In addition, it is a better idea to use e.g.,

seq(along = something)

rather than

1:(length(something))

for that reason.

If this is not your code, and is cropping up from within waveTiling, I
would contact the maintainer and see if they will agree that this is if
not a bug, then an infelicity that should be fixed.

Best,

Jim