[BioC] ANOVA analysis using edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Aug 1 11:21:49 CEST 2014

Dear Yogender Gowtham,

The edgeR user guide tells you how to do the anova test, as you have
already noted for yourself.

It really is as simple as the user's guide says.  What you are not
understanding is that if B-A, C-A, D-A and E-A are all zero, then it
follows that the gene must have the same expression level in all 5
conditions, and hence all the other possible comparisons (B-C, D-E etc
etc) must be zero as well.

In fact any four contrasts between the five conditions are sufficient.
If any four contrasts are zero, then all must be zero.  This is why the
anova test for five conditions is on 4 degrees of freedom.

edgeR will return you the same correct F test whichever set of 4 contrasts
you ask it to test.  This means you will get the same test results from
testing B-A, C-A, D-A and E-A simultaneously as you would from E-D, D-C,
C-B and B-A, or indeed from any other set of four independent contrasts.

By the way, it is not true that performing pairwise t-tests will
necessarily give liberal FDR values.  If the FDR is controlled correctly
for each individual comparison, then it is automatically controlled for
the whole set of tests.  You may be thinking of p-values and type I error
rates, but FDRs scale up differently to type I error rates.  There is
actually little to be gained in the genomic context from doing an anova
test if you are going to follow it up by posthoc t-tests.

Best wishes
Gordon