[BioC] multi-level design - a simplified question - corrected table

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Aug 4 02:38:20 CEST 2014

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:01:34 +0000
> From: "Rao,Xiayu" <XRao at mdanderson.org>
> To: "bioconductor at r-project.org" <bioconductor at r-project.org>
> Subject: [BioC] multi-level design - a simplified question - corrected
> 	table
>
> Hello all,
>
> I do need some help on analyzing such unorganized data. Please help me out. Thank you so much!
> I basically followed the analysis of multi-level experiments in limma user guide. But I do not feel right about the code below. Please give me some suggestions.
>
> # I want to compare Normal vs. Tumor negative,  and Normal vs Tumor positive. There are partial pairing (subject) and batch effect (chip).
> Treat <- factor(paste(targets$chip,targets$type,sep="."))
> design <- model.matrix(~0+Treat)

No, this isn't correct.  If you need to correct for a batch effect (and
have you checked that you really need this?), then it should be

   design <- model.matrix(+0+type+chip)

where type and chip are both factors.  Then, when you take contrasts later
on, you simply compare the type levels that are relevant.

Or better still,

   type <- relevel(type, ref="N")
   design <- model.matrix(~type+chip)
   corfit <- duplicateCorrelation(y,design,block=targets$subject)
   fit <- lmFit(y,design,block=targets$subject,correlation=corfit$consensus)
   fit <- eBayes(fit)
   topTable(fit, coef="typeTneg")
   topTable(fit, coef="typeTpos")

Best wishes