[BioC] Can DESeq do this?

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 20:19:54 CEST 2014

it's not that I don't recommend DESeq, it's that I don't recommend a
DE analysis for anything but exploration / hypothesis generation (we
say so much in the paragraph I referred to above) especially
considering that the sequencing facilities are different for the
different samples. This is referred to as a batch effect, and in this
case it is perfectly confounded with the condition of interest: the
site of sampling. Suppose, you were to take the same sample, and
prepare different libraries or perform sequencing at different
facilities in the US, Japan, etc., and then perform statistical
testing: you will often find many significant differences with such an
analysis. So your dataset is a mix of batch effects and biologically
interesting differences, which cannot be disentangled because they are
perfectly confounded.

Mike