[BioC] Any problem with the design matrix or the contrasts? Thanks

Rao,Xiayu XRao at mdanderson.org
Fri Aug 8 23:03:38 CEST 2014

Thank you for your kind suggestion, Federico!

I tried your suggested design, and found the result is different. There are 10 sig DEGs in the end.
> design <- model.matrix(~0+AR+gender+chip,data=targets)
> design
   ARneg ARpos genderM chip
1      0     1       0    1
2      1     0       0    1
3      1     0       1    2
4      0     1       1    2
5      1     0       0    2
6      0     1       1    2
7      0     1       1    2
8      0     1       1    3
9      0     1       1    3
10     0     1       1    3
11     0     1       1    3
12     0     1       0    4
13     0     1       0    4
14     0     1       1    4
15     0     1       1    4
16     0     1       0    5
17     0     1       1    5
18     0     1       1    5

I also tried this design, which I originally thought would be the same as yours, but is different. There are 3 sig DEGs in the end. Could you please explain the cause of the difference ??
> gender <- factor(targets$gender)
> AR <- factor(targets$AR)
> chip <- factor(targets$chip)
> design <- model.matrix(~0+AR+gender+chip)
> design
   ARneg ARpos genderM chip2 chip3 chip4 chip5 chip6
1      0     1       0     0     0     0     0     0
2      1     0       0     0     0     0     0     0
3      1     0       1     1     0     0     0     0
4      0     1       1     1     0     0     0     0
5      1     0       0     1     0     0     0     0
6      0     1       1     1     0     0     0     0
7      0     1       1     1     0     0     0     0
8      0     1       1     0     1     0     0     0
9      0     1       1     0     1     0     0     0
10     0     1       1     0     1     0     0     0
11     0     1       1     0     1     0     0     0
12     0     1       0     0     0     1     0     0
13     0     1       0     0     0     1     0     0
14     0     1       1     0     0     1     0     0
15     0     1       1     0     0     1     0     0
16     0     1       0     0     0     0     1     0
17     0     1       1     0     0     0     1     0
18     0     1       1     0     0     0     1     0
19     1     0       1     0     0     0     0     1
20     1     0       1     0     0     0     0     1

 Actually, what I did after my post was to treat the chip as a random effect instead of a fixed batch effect (although I though the code in my last post was correct), because I thought the within batch data is not well balanced and applying a mixed model may be safer. There are 11 sig DEGs generated from the mixed model, including the above 10 and 3 sig genes. Please add any thoughts you have so that I can learn more. Thank you very much !

Thanks,
Xiayu