[BioC] narrow and xstringset

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Mon Aug 11 18:31:21 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 08/11/14 06:20, carol white wrote:
> Hi,
> How can narrow be used with a dnastring? because when i use it with an instance of dnastring I get
>
> Error in (function (classes, fdef, mtable)Â  :
>   unable to find an inherited method for function ‘narrow’ for signature ‘"DNAString"’

That's correct. There is no narrow() method for DNAString.

> and when i convert the instance of dnastring with
>
> DNAStringSet(toString(str))
>

> and use with narrow with any value for end and width
>

> I get
>
> Error in .Call2("solve_user_SEW", refwidths, start, end, width, translate.negative.coord,  :
> Â  solving row 1: 'allow.nonnarrowing' is FALSE and the supplied end (500) is > refwidth + 1

In your other email on the list (title 'iranges') I explained how
'start' and 'end' work for narrow(). My guess is that was the problem here.

d <- DNAString("TTGAAAA-CTC-N")

Conversion to string is not necessary, the DNAStringSet can be created
with the DNAString.
 > DNAStringSet(d)
   A DNAStringSet instance of length 1
     width seq
[1]    13 TTGAAAA-CTC-N

Specify 'start' to begin 3 positions in (greater than) from the current
start.
 > narrow(DNAStringSet(d), 3)
   A DNAStringSet instance of length 1
     width seq