[BioC] DEXSeq update results change

Alejandro Reyes alejandro.reyes at embl.de
Wed Aug 20 15:59:48 CEST 2014

Dear Antonio,

Thanks a lot for your explanations and sending your objects and code.

I had a look at your data, apparently the difference in dispersion
estimates between the old and the new versions of DEXSeq can make a
difference in the coefficients of the GLM, therefore the exon fold
changes.  But this changes seem to be specifically affecting only those
exons with very low counts.  For example, with the objects that you send me:

select <- rowSums( dxr$countData ) > 10
plot( dxr_new$`log2fold_3_c_GFP_c`[select],
dxr_old$`log2fold.3_c_c.GFP_c_c.`[select] )

These numbers/plots give a much more reasonable picture. These
differences are from those exons where noise is predominant. I will dig
more into this, but I would not worry so much about it, the signs for
the significant exons are anyway consistent:

select2 <- which(dxr_old$padjust < 0.1)
table( dxr_new$`log2fold_3_c_GFP_c`[select2] > 0 ,
dxr_old$`log2fold.3_c_c.GFP_c_c.`[select2] > 0)

       FALSE TRUE
FALSE  1630    0
TRUE      0  614

Best regards,