[BioC] Combing Effects (t-stats) from experiment with common reference design?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Aug 31 00:58:07 CEST 2014

Dear AK,

I assume that you have multiple replicates of each heart stage, so that
the total number of samples is greater than 20.

To rank genes by average up-regulation in heart across all stages, simply
form a contrast that is the average of all Stage vs Control comparisons.

For example,

  Group <- relevel(Group, ref="ControlX")
  design <- model.matrix(~Group)
  fit <- lmFit(y, design)
  cont <- c(-20,rep(1,20))/20
  fit2 <- contrasts.fit(fit, contrast=cont)
  fit2 <- eBayes(fit)
  topTable(fit2)

Best wishes
Gordon