[BioC] Best way of presenting a sub-fraction of edgeR RNAseq gene expression results in a publication

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 2 01:51:12 CET 2014

Dear Sindre,

Just run edgeR as usual on all genes.  Run topTags() with n=Inf to get a
table of DE results for all genes:

   tab <- topTags(yourresults, n=Inf)

Then subset the table for just the 5 genes you are interested in.  For
example, if your results include a column of gene symbols, this might be:

   tab5 <- tab[tab$table$Symbol %in% mygenes,]
   tab5

When you report the table, there is no need to include the FDR or multiple
testing column because the genes have been chosen a priori.  Just judge
significance from the PValue column.

Best wishes
Gordon