[BioC] EdgeR: artifacts on BCV plot

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 2 02:24:02 CET 2014

Dear Adriann,

It isn't an artifact.  You are simply seeing a few genes for which the
dispersion is estimated to be zero.  EdgeR puts these dispersions to a
small positive value.  They are not harmful.

You could also try

   estimateDisp()

which will automatically estimate the prior df for you.  This function
also has a robust option.  If you turn it on, then it will ensure that
large or small tail dispersions don't affect the other dispersions.
However I doubt this is serious problem for you.

Best wishes
Gordon