[BioC] EdgeR: artifacts on BCV plot

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 2 04:09:25 CET 2014

Hi Ryan,

It is not possible for the dispersion to be less than zero in a negative
binomial distribution (because the distribution would become
mathematically undefined).  Hence it is not possible for edgeR to estimate
a negative dispersion value, and there is no need to do any correction.

You might be thinking of other packages that use moment estimation or
other ad hoc means to estimate the dispersion.  edgeR is a
likelihood-based package, so the restriction to valid parameter values is
inherent in the algorithm.

Gordon