[BioC] error ReadAffy

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Feb 5 17:04:02 CET 2014

Hi Nu,

On 2/5/2014 9:42 AM, n omranian wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem reading my cel files.
> My data is from Arabidopsis thaliana and the platform is GPL17417.
>
> I get the cdf file for this platform, which is GPL17417_aragene10st_At_TAIRG and installed it in R.
>
> But still when I read the cel files I get the error as follows:
>> affydata <- ReadAffy(cdfname="gpl17417aragene10stattairgcdf")
>
> Warning message:
>

> The affy package can process data from the Gene ST 1.x series of arrays,
> but you should consider using either the oligo or xps packages, which are specifically
> designed for these arrays.

That's not an error. It's a warning. Is there something about this
warning that is unclear? The goal is to explain that you should really
be using oligo or xps for these arrays.

> and when I use read.affy (simpleaffy) it gives me this error:
> read.affy() Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection In addition: Warning message: In file(file, "rt") :   cannot open file './covdesc': No such file or directory
>
> I want to read my cel files and normalize them with gcrma.

The simpleaffy error is insurmountable, as simpleaffy is designed
specifically for 3'-biased arrays. If you want to do quality control,
perhaps you should try the arrayQualityMetrics package.

In addition, using gcrma with PM-only arrays is not a trivial task.
Unless you are willing to do the research to figure out how to do it, I
would recommend you follow the warning above and use oligo or xps to
analyze these data.

Best,

Jim