[BioC] error ReadAffy

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Feb 5 18:13:41 CET 2014

Hi Nu,

Well, if I google gpl17417, I end up at this page:

http://165.112.7.19/geo/query/acc.cgi?acc=GPL17417

which indicates that this is just an AraGene 1.1 ST array that they used
a MNBI re-mapped cdf, from their version 16 set of packages. So now if I
go there:

http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/CDF_download.asp

I see this:

*Version 16 (Data Sources
<http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/16.0.0/version.html>)*
Sep 27, 2012, version 16 is released
Custom CDF 	R 2.15, BioC 2.11

So you could hypothetically use an old version of R and BioC. However, I
prefer to stay in the here and now, so let's see what we can do:

 > library(BiocInstaller)
Bioconductor version 2.12 (BiocInstaller 1.10.4), ?biocLite for help
A newer version of Bioconductor is available for this version of R,
?BiocUpgrade for help
 > biocLite(c("aragene11stattairgcdf","aragene11stattairgprobe"))
BioC_mirror: http://bioconductor.org
Using Bioconductor version 2.12 (BiocInstaller 1.10.4), R version 3.0.1.
Installing package(s) 'aragene11stattairgcdf' 'aragene11stattairgprobe'
Warning message:
packages ‘aragene11stattairgcdf’, ‘aragene11stattairgprobe’ are not
available (for R version 3.0.1)

Hmmm. That's pretty bootleg. The MNBI site claims that version 17 works
with BioC 2.12:

*Version 17 (Data Sources
<http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/17.0.0/version.html>)*
Apr 25, 2013, version 17 is released
Custom CDF 	R 2.15, BioC 2.11 	R 3.0, BioC 2.12

In that case let's switch to R-3.0.2 and install by hand:

download.file("http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/17.1.0/tairg.download/aragene11stattairgcdf_17.1.0.tar.gz",
"./aragene11stattairgcdf_17.1.0.tar.gz")
trying URL
'http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/17.1.0/tairg.download/aragene11stattairgcdf_17.1.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2258039 bytes (2.2 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.2 Mb

download.file("http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/17.1.0/tairg.download/aragene11stattairgprobe_17.1.0.tar.gz",
"./aragene11stattairgprobe_17.1.0.tar.gz")
trying URL
'http://brainarray.mbni.med.umich.edu/Brainarray/Database/CustomCDF/17.1.0/tairg.download/aragene11stattairgprobe_17.1.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 6983531 bytes (6.7 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 6.7 Mb

install.packages(c("aragene11stattairgprobe_17.1.0.tar.gz","aragene11stattairgcdf_17.1.0.tar.gz"),
repos=NULL)
* installing *source* package ‘aragene11stattairgprobe’ ...
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
* DONE (aragene11stattairgprobe)
* installing *source* package ‘aragene11stattairgcdf’ ...
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
* DONE (aragene11stattairgcdf)

Now I don't see any celfiles on GEO to test, and to use gcrma will take
some effort, as I already stated, but I can now at least run RMA on
these data using the affy package with the re-mapped cdf.

And if I just want to use oligo, I can

 > biocLite("pd.aragene.1.1.st")
BioC_mirror: http://bioconductor.org
Using Bioconductor version 2.13 (BiocInstaller 1.12.0), R version 3.0.2.
Installing package(s) 'pd.aragene.1.1.st'
trying URL
'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.13/data/annotation/src/contrib/pd.aragene.1.1.st_3.8.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 34310175 bytes (32.7 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 32.7 Mb

* installing *source* package ‘pd.aragene.1.1.st’ ...
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
* DONE (pd.aragene.1.1.st)

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/tmp/RtmpMlVUZN/downloaded_packages’
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Making 'packages.html' ... done

Best,

Jim

--