[BioC] Gene Ontology Annotations from Gene Names

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Feb 5 21:06:47 CET 2014

Hi Joseph,

You can check to see if it is a viable option by just giving it a shot.
Note that the author and maintainer should in general be you, so you
would replace my oh so very droll versions with your name and email.
Also note that if you are on Windows, you need to include type =
"source" to the call to install.packages().

> makeOrgPackageFromNCBI(version = "0.0.1", author = "me <me at mine.com>", maintainer = "me <me at mine.com>",outputDir = ".", tax_id = "192222", genus = "Campylobacter", species = "jejuni")

Getting data for gene2pubmed.gz
discarding data from other organisms
Populating gene2pubmed table:
table gene2pubmed filled
Getting data for gene2accession.gz
discarding data from other organisms
Populating gene2accession table:
table gene2accession filled
Getting data for gene2refseq.gz
discarding data from other organisms
Populating gene2refseq table:
table gene2refseq filled
Getting data for gene2unigene
discarding data from other organisms
Populating gene2unigene table:
table gene2unigene filled
Getting data for gene_info.gz
discarding data from other organisms
Populating gene_info table:
table gene_info filled
Getting data for gene2go.gz
discarding data from other organisms
Populating gene2go table:
Getting blast2GO data as a substitute for gene2go
table metadata filled
table map_metadata filled
table gene2go filled
table metadata filled
table map_metadata filled
Populating genes table:
genes table filled
Populating gene_info_temp table:
gene_info_temp table filled
Populating alias table:
alias table filled
Populating chromosomes table:
chromosomes table filled
Populating pubmed table:
pubmed table filled
Populating refseq table:
refseq table filled
Populating accessions table:
accessions table filled
Populating unigene table:
Dropping GO IDs that are too new for the current GO.db
Dropping GO IDs that are too new for the current GO.db
Dropping GO IDs that are too new for the current GO.db
Populating go_bp table:
go_bp table filled
Populating go_mf table:
go_mf table filled
Populating go_cc table:
go_cc table filled
Populating go_bp_all table:
go_bp_all table filled
Populating go_mf_all table:
go_mf_all table filled
Populating go_cc_all table:
go_cc_all table filled
dropping table gene2pubmeddropping table gene2accessiondropping table
gene2refseqdropping table gene2unigenedropping table gene_infodropping
table gene2go
Making GO views

SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM gene_info AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.gene_name NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM gene_info AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.symbol NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT t.symbol) FROM gene_info AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.symbol NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM chromosomes AS t, genes as g
WHERE t._id=g._id AND t.chromosome NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM refseq AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.accession NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT t.accession) FROM refseq AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.accession NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM unigene AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.unigene_id NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT t.unigene_id) FROM unigene AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.unigene_id NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM accessions AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.accession NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT t.accession) FROM accessions AS t, genes as g
WHERE t._id=g._id AND t.accession NOT NULL
SELECT count(DISTINCT g.gene_id) FROM alias AS t, genes as g WHERE
t._id=g._id AND t.alias_symbol NOT NULL
table map_counts filled
Creating package in ./org.Cjejuni.eg.db
[1] TRUE
Warning message:
In .makeSimpleTable(ug, table = "unigene", con) :
  no values found for table unigene in this data chunk.

So that built the package, but now we need to install

> install.packages("org.Cjejuni.eg.db", repos = NULL)
* installing *source* package ‘org.Cjejuni.eg.db’ ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
* DONE (org.Cjejuni.eg.db)
> library(org.Cjejuni.eg.db)

> head(toTable(org.Cjejuni.egGO))
  gene_id      go_id Evidence Ontology