[BioC] subsetting SummarizedExperiments - a proposal (or a hack?)

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Wed Feb 5 23:25:19 CET 2014

Hi,

I think these ideas are pretty cool, as I often find myself doing both
of the things you mention:

* rather verbose subsetting/slicing/dicing of SEs
* casting my SEs into data.tables to do "stuff" (not just plotting)

I dig the idea of defining `subset` on SEs (and even GRanges alone),
but I suspect there will be an issue with the semantics, ie.
considering a SE (or whatever) as a 2d object, and what the "rows" and
"columns" of them actually mean (I recall a "subset GRanges mojo"
thread I might have raised that kicked the same bees nest some time (a
few years(?)) ago) ...

Anyway -- yeah, would be curious to see what your cast* functions look like ;-)

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Computational Biologist