[BioC] Bioconductor Digest, Vol 132, Issue 5

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Feb 5 23:44:34 CET 2014

> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 23:25:22 +0100
> From: Koen Van den Berge <koen.vdberge at gmail.com>
> To: Gordon K Smyth <smyth at wehi.EDU.AU>
> Subject: Re: [BioC] prior df estimation of estimateDisp function
>
> Dear all,
>
> Thank you, Gordon, for this useful reply. I am currently still looking
> into effects of different dispersion estimators and different settings
> for these estimators.

> Again, I am working on the spiked-in data, also mentioned in the Voom
> paper, as mentioned below.

This is an unfortunate choice of dataset.  It is hard to learn much about
dispersion estimation from a dataset than doesn't have any dispersion, or
almost none.

> Since the estDisp() function suggested a prior df value of infinity -
> giving total weight to the prior distribution (which would be the
> trended dispersion estimator, I guess?)

I guess you mean estimateDisp().  Yes.

> I had hoped to reach the same results in comparing the libraries as I
> had when analysing the data using the trended dispersion estimator.

estimateGLMTrendedDisp() gives a different estimate of the trended
dispersion to estimateDisp().

You can see this for example by plotBCV().

Gordon

>>> Koen.