[BioC] edgeR glmLRT pearson residual

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Feb 9 23:16:01 CET 2014

Dear Laura,

edgeR does not automatically provide residuals, but it does provide
information from which you can compute them yourself fairly easily.

To get Pearson residuals:

   fit <- glmFit(y, design)
   y <- fit$counts
   mu <- fit$fitted.values
   phi <- fit$dispersion
   v <- mu*(1+phi*mu)
   resid.pearson <- (y-mu) / sqrt(v)

To get deviances residuals you will need the devel version of edgeR:

   d <- nbinomUnitDeviance(y,mu,phi)
   resid.deviance <- sign(y-mu) * sqrt(d)

Better than either of these however is the midp-quantile residual:

   resid.quantile <- zscoreNBinom(y,mu,size=1/phi)

To read about quantile residuals:

   http://www.statsci.org/smyth/pubs/residual.html

Best wishes
Gordon