[BioC] zero values and lib.size

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Feb 10 18:23:12 CET 2014

On 2/10/2014 12:06 PM, J [guest] wrote:
> I'm using the "classic" edgeR method and I was wondering if it is okay to add 0.5 to all of my tag counts before I do any processing of the data to make sure edgeR p-values and and logFC are not effected by any genes with 0 counts?  If this is okay, do I need to use these column sums as the new lib.size or since it would all be the same for every column would it be unnecessary?
>
> I'm referring to doing something like this…
>
> all_counts <- all_counts + 0.5

I suppose you could, but you are assuming that the problem of zero
counts never occurred to the author of edgeR. Is that really a bet you
want to make? And if you want to make that bet, why on earth would you
use edgeR?

Luckily for all involved, this is a solved problem, and you even get to
provide input if you don't like the defaults. See the prior.count
argument to ?exactTest.

Best,

Jim