[BioC] Identifying Processes as Upregulated or Downregulated

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Feb 11 15:00:29 CET 2014

Hi Joseph,

I think you are making a simplifying assumption that isn't helpful. In
other words, you are assuming that up-regulation of a set of genes
means something different than down-regulation, or a mixture thereof.
But this flies in the face of much that we know about biological
processes.

As an example, say we have a set of genes with 'programmed cell death'
as their GO term. And further assume that some of these genes enhance
this process, and some prevent the process. Now if most of the
enhancers are up-regulated, and most of the 'preventers' are
down-regulated, are you prepared to say these genes should be tested
separately because the up-regulated genes are involved with a different
process than the down-regulated genes?

Best,

Jim