[BioC] how to determine what kind of dispersion to use

J [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Tue Feb 18 02:53:40 CET 2014

Hello listserve,

Most analysis performed in edgeR rightfully assumes that the data is not Poisson and in fact follows a NB distribution. This information is important when shrinking the dispersions, however I was wondering if there was a graph or function in edgeR that I could make/use to determine what kind of dispersion (i.e. common, moderated tagwise) I need to apply in the exactTest function?

I'm not doing a typical RNA-seq experiment (i.e. RIP-seq) so I would like to test which parts of the classic workflow are appropriate for what I'm doing. For instance, can I still use the same equation to figure out the prior.df, or will that not apply to RIP-seq?

After doing some comparisons between the different functions and arguments within them I'm wondering if RIP-seq may pose a problem when trying to use the moderated dispersion since the reads in the untagged IP will generally be less than the IP samples. Does that seem like a possibility?

Also for the dispersion argument in the exactTest() function, are there good rules of thumb of when to use  "common", "trended", "tagwise" or "auto"?

Thanks

 -- output of sessionInfo():

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.2 (2013-09-25)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] LSD_2.5            ellipse_0.3-8      schoolmath_0.4
[4] colorRamps_2.3     RColorBrewer_1.0-5 gtools_3.2.1
[7] MASS_7.3-29        edgeR_3.4.2        limma_3.18.12

[1] tools_3.0.2

--
Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.