[BioC] How does pathview deal with enzyme with several coding genes?

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 04:21:40 CET 2014

As described in Page 7 of pathview vignette:
“..Note in native KEGG view, a gene node may represent multiple genes/proteins with similar or redundant functional role. The number of member genes range from 1 up to several tens. They are intentionally put together as a single node on pathway graphs for better clarity and readability. Therefore, we do not split node and mark each member genes separately by default. But rather we visualize the node-wise data by summarize gene-wise data, users may specify the summarization method using node.sum arguement.”
Native KEGG graph use the most informative name to label multiple-gene nodes. When Graphviz view or 2-layer graph is specified, we choose to use the most common gene symbol (among multiple ones).

Check the function documentation of pathview:
?pathview
node.sum argument, character, the method name to calculate node summary given that multiple genes
or compounds are mapped to it. Potential options include "sum","mean", "median","max", "max.abs" and "random". Default node.sum="sum".

Below are the data you provided. You may want to check whether the fold change sum of your 3 genes is about 0.299 or 0.4.