[BioC] Packages not in BioC or CRAN

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 18 19:38:15 CET 2014

On 02/18/2014 10:01 AM, Samuel Younkin wrote:
> What is the Bioconductor policy on accepting packages that import packages not
> available at BioC or CRAN.  The external package would be available at a public
> website instead.  Assume that the licensing of the external package is appropriate.

This is strongly discouraged. This creates work and confusion for the
Bioconductor maintainers and for your users, and almost invariable resolves
itself either favorably (the functionality or package is migrated to a CRAN
pacakge) or unfavorably (the dependent package becomes out-of-date and the
Bioconductor package has to be removed). Might as well start where we'll end up,
using CRAN or Bioconductor packages.

For future reference, questions like this are better addressed to the bioc-devel
mailing list.

Martin