[BioC] Bug in GSVA with methods other than default?

Jonathan Manning Jonathan.Manning at ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 21 12:35:19 CET 2014

Hi Bioconductors,

I'm attempting to use GSVA (version 1.8.0) for gene set enrichment type
analyses, in particular to access PLAGE, it having performed well in a
fairly recent comparison:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0079217#pone.0079217-Tomfohr1.

Unfortunately when I call the gsva() method with an ExpressionSet type
object (specifically a LumiBatch in my case), with any 'method'
specification other than the default I get an error like:

Error in eSco$es.obs : $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors

Digging about in the code, this /seems/ to be because the default method
'gsva' returns a list with an 'es.obs' element, while the others return
straight matrices. I guess the fix would be a simple conditional in that
top gsva() method:

if (method=='gsva'){

     Biobase::exprs(eScoEset)<- eSco$es.obs

}else{