[BioC] Can subjunc use splice sites from a reference annotation (i.e. GTF file)?

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jan 17 07:38:03 CET 2014

Dear Ryan,

I agree that leveraging the knowledge of known splice sites is likely to increase the accuracy of read mapping.

When performing read alignments for RNA-seq data, subjunc firstly identifies high-confidence exon spanning reads and then uses them to compile a list of splice sites. It then uses the discovered splice sites to re-align all the reads to try to achieve the best mapping results. This is the fundamental difference between subjunc and other splice-aware aligners. Our evaluation results have already shown that subjunc was more accurate in identifying splice sites and in mapping exon-spanning reads (Tables 6 and 7 in PMID:23558742).

Allowing users to provide an annotation will complement the list of splice sites we discovered from the data and would possibly further improve the mapping results. It is on our to-do list to investigate this and possibly implement it.

Best wishes,
Wei