[BioC] EdgeR for proteomics data

Pekka Kohonen pkpekka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 16:32:42 CET 2014

Hello,

I have used RNA-seq statistics to analyze proteomics data myself. I
tried using edgeR but think that the spectral count numbers in
proteomics data are too small that you get artefacts, especially of
lowly expressed proteins. I then turned to limma/voom to estimated
mean-variance relationship for the data and then did analysis with
limma/eBayes. I was pleased with the results and the speciicity of the
method, limma/voom is generally a bit more conservative than edgeR
(but not much less sensitive). I experimented a bit with the loess
span for the voom (increasing it to 0.75 I think), since there was a
dip in the distribution otherwise (probably due to low amount of data)
that could lead to some spurious hits.

I think that RNA-seq analysis packages are great for label-free
proteomics, but one neds to be a bit careful with them. Otherwise the
procedure is the same (starting with a matrix of counts).

Best, Pekka