[BioC] edgeR FC calculation question

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Fri Jan 17 22:47:01 CET 2014

Hi Lana,

The fold change (actually log2 fold change) for a contrast is simply
the sum/difference of all the coefficients in the contrast as you have
written it. So if Drug.1h, Drug.0h, Placebo.1h, and Placebo.0h are 4
coefficients in your model, then your "DrugvsPlacebo.1h" contrast works
out to:

1 * Drug.1h + -1 * Drug.0h + -1 * Placebo.1h + 1 * Placebo.0h

The logFC for each gene is computed by substituting the fitted values
for each coefficient into the expression that you specify as the
contrast.

-Ryan