[BioC] (EdgeR) statistical justification of partitioning dataset for multiple analysis

Adriaan Sticker adriaan.sticker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 16:01:51 CET 2014

Dear
Thanks for your input. I did as you suggested.
For all treatment groups combined i got common BCV = 0.08

 When I look split up my dataset in 3 treatments groups and calculate the
BCV for each seperately I got common BCV:
control: 0.081   treatment1: 0.085   treantment2: 0.096

When I split the data for each analysis I got common BCV;
control + treat1: 0.078     control + treat2: 0.084     treat1 +treat2:
0.082

So it seems that treatment2 has some extra BCV compared to the others but
thes differences are not so big when you look at each analysis for
treatment comparison. I also don't think the BCVs for each analysis look
much different when you look at the BCV plots themself (in attachment)

I have to revise my statement  about finding more genes after splitting the
dataset compared to an analysis on the full dataset.
I find more genes (almost double) for treatment 1 vs control when I split
the dataset.
I find less genes (almost half) for treatment 2 vs control when I split the
dataset.
I find more or less (it depends at which timepoint you look) for treatment
2 vs treatment 1 when I split the dataset.

This puzzles me a bit.

But in general, when all BCVs are more or less the same. Would you gain
something by splitting the dataset or doesn't that make much sense
statistically?

Best regards
Adriaan