[BioC] NCBI gff3 annotation file and read.gff()

ugo.borello at inserm.fr ugo.borello at inserm.fr
Wed Jul 16 21:44:32 CEST 2014

Yes, indeed, I would like to mine into the fascicularis transcriptome
and using makeTranscriptDbFromGFF() with my gff file is a very good
suggestion.
I tried earlier this approach but I have to confess that I was unable to
specify an exonRankAttributeName value.
I shall try to figure it out more carefully later.

Thank you

Ugo

Le 16-07-2014 10:58, Marc Carlson a écrit :
> Yes you definitely can use makeTranscriptDbFromGFF if you want a
> TranscriptDb object.  The following works for example:
>
> library("GenomicFeatures")
> txdb <- makeTranscriptDbFromGFF(
> file="ref_Macaca_fascicularis_5.0_top_level.gff3.gz",
>                         format="gff3",
>                         exonRankAttributeName=NA,
>                         gffGeneIdAttributeName=NA,
>                         chrominfo=NA,
>                         dataSource=NA,
>                         species=NA,
>                         circ_seqs=DEFAULT_CIRC_SEQS,
>                         miRBaseBuild=NA,
>                         useGenesAsTranscripts=FALSE)
>
> But is massaging this into a transcriptome what we want here?  Ugo
> hasn't told us what he wants to do with this data.  Also I didn't look
> closely at the data itself.  It may be that you can specify a value
> for exonRankAttributeName (which is always what you should want to do
> if you can manage it).
>

>  Marc
>

> On 07/16/2014 09:10 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
>> Is there anything makeTranscriptDbFromGFF could do to help with this?
>> Sounds like you typically want something like a TxDb, except perhaps
>> with
>> some special considerations. Following the NCBI conventions is
>> probably
>> worth it.
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Chris Stubben <stubben at lanl.gov>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I would also suggest using rtracklayer import or create a genome data
>>> package.   At least for microbial genomes, you often just need to
>>> return
>>> features (CDS, pseudogenes, tRNAs, etc) that have a parent with a