[BioC] Please comment the way I'm thinking about the way to find differentially expressed genes

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Fri Jul 25 17:52:11 CEST 2014

Hi Kaj,

I don't see how resampling is going to help you at all with just 2-3
samples per group. Anyway, the bootstrap is in general used to generate
improved estimates of the variance, not to generate 'new' data sets.

Figuring out ways to improve variance estimates was a fairly hot area of
research about 10 years ago, and people have in general settled on the
idea of empirical Bayesian estimates like you get with limma.

As a self-professed 'starter' in gene expression analysis, are you sure
you are best equipped to improve on the accepted methods that were
developed over several year by PhD statisticians? If not, I would just
stick with using limma, especially if you want to publish your results.
It's much easier to say 'I used the bioconductor limma package' then to
explain your newfangled, unpublished method, especially if you are not a
PhD statistician yourself.

Best,

Jim