[BioC] .cel file processing is not working for an old array

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Jul 28 15:53:33 CEST 2014

Hi Maria,

Sean and Martin have already given you feedback about updating your
AnnotationDbi package, so I won't comment further on that issue. But I
will note that the for() loop you are using below is almost surely not
what you want to be doing.

The RMA algorithm uses information from all arrays in an experiment to
help generate expression values. By running rma() individually on each
array, you are eliminating that (very important) aspect of the algorithm.

The conventional thing to do is

setwd("/home/maria/Documents/Work with Pietro/Prostate Cancer")
Data<-ReadAffy()
eset <- rma(Data)

and then the ExpressionSet will contain normalized data for all nine arrays.

But this makes an assumption that these arrays are all from the same
experiment, so a quantile normalization makes sense. If they are not all
from the same experiment, or you have other reasons to suspect that a
quantile normalization for all arrays is not sensible, you should
instead be using the frma package, which is designed to allow you to
process samples singly using the RMA algorithm.

Best,

Jim