[BioC] Query regarding SomatiSignature bioconductor package

Julian Gehring julian.gehring at embl.de
Wed Jun 11 17:22:50 CEST 2014

Hi Anand,

> Thank you for the elaborative reply. This clears lot of things. Regarding R number you are right. Also, I guess you need more genoms to decipher more signatures.

The number of genomes will give you more power to detect signatures,
whereas the number of potentially present signatures (and therefore
mutational processes) will depend on the biology of the samples.

> One more question though, in the plot generated from plotSignatures() , the Y axis 'contribution' - is it the percentage contribution ?

The 'contribution' reflects the values of the matrix decomposition.
They are proportional to each other, but do not reflect percentages.
You can transform them to percentages by dividing the decomposed matrix
of interest.  As an example:

   sigs_nmf$w = sigs_nmf$w / rowSums(sigs_nmf$w)

I may add a convenient function for this soon.

Best wishes
Julian