[BioC] parsing discrete colors in pathview KEGG

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 03:00:10 CET 2014

Currently, Pathview does not provide a single function for your particular analysis. But you can make use of the individual module functions in Pathview package to get your job done. First, make sure you update your pathview to the latest version (1.2.3). Below is an example based on what you described: multiple columns, 1 color for each column. You may also specify colors for individual nodes directly this way. Note that we do not plot the color key for such data at this time. HTH.

library(pathview)
#simulate data first, gene hits are 1's, others are NA's
gnames <- sim.mol.data(nmol = 10000, discrete=T)
gdata=matrix(NA, ncol=4, nrow=10000)
rownames(gdata)=gnames
idx1=sample(1:10000, 4000)
idx2=sample(1:10000, 4000)
idx3=sample(1:10000, 4000)
idx4=sample(1:10000, 4000)
gdata[idx1,1]=1
gdata[idx2,2]=1
gdata[idx3,3]=1
gdata[idx4,4]=1

#donwload, parse and map your data
download.kegg(pathway.id="04110")
xml.file="hsa04110.xml"
node.data=node.info(xml.file)
names(node.data)
plot.data.gene=node.map(mol.data=gdata, node.data, node.types="gene")
head(plot.data.gene)

#generate and customize node colors
cols.ts.gene=node.color(plot.data.gene, limit=2, bins=4)
head(cols.ts.gene)
cols=rainbow(4)
bg.col="#FFFFFF"
for(i in 1:4){
cols.ts.gene[cols.ts.gene[,i]!=bg.col,i]=cols[i]
}

#KEGG view
pv.pars= keggview.native(plot.data.gene=plot.data.gene,
cols.ts.gene=cols.ts.gene, node.data=node.data, pathway.name="hsa04110",
same.layer=T, plot.col.key=F, out.suffix = "custom.4cols")