[BioC] Can we apply WGCNA to RNA-seq dataset?

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 08:45:38 CET 2014

Hi Spanos,

you can certainly use WGCNA for RNA-seq data. Two recommendations: 1.
Filter out genes whose count is less than say 5 in more than say 80%
of the samples. This gets rid of a lot of noise and gets rid of
expression profiles for which correlation makes little sense. 2. Use a
variance-stabilizing transformation, such as the one implemented in
varianceStabilizingTransformation or rlogTransformation in the DESeq2.

I have analyzed a few RNA-seq data sets and have had great results.

Hope this helps,

Peter