[BioC] Input regarding sorting out candidate genes from edgeR results

Sindre Lee sindre.lee at studmed.uio.no
Mon Mar 10 19:07:47 CET 2014

Hi!
I have been asked to make a candidate list of genes for downstream
analysis. We are going to look for secreted proteins into plasma from
muscle tissue. I started by picking out genes coding for secretory
proteins.
Then I sorted by fold change and prediction score, but then I started
wondering what actually gives a huge fold change, and now Im not so sure
if this is the best approach? Do anyone here have experience with this
and have some good ideas? Maybe run GSEA, cluster genes with same
expression profile etc?

The reason I ask is to try and save money spent on ELISA kits.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Sindre