[BioC] Questions about multi-factor contrast setting in DESeq2

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:51:45 CET 2014

hi Ming,

Let's keep the discussion on list, as it might be relevant to others.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Ming Yi <yi02 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure how tumor and RasPNot = 1,1,0,0,1,0,0,1, could you explain to
> me a bit?

Let's work with the GLM formula in the vignette (Section 4.1 GLM)

we have

E(K_ij) = mu_ij = s_j 2^( x_j. beta_i )

if we divide out size factors and take log2 we have:

log2( mu_ij / s_j ) = x_j. beta_i

x_j. is the j-th row of the model matrix X, and beta_i is the vector
of coefficients
(a log2-scale intercept and log2 fold changes) for gene i.

Your model has a beta vector for each gene with values:

1 "Intercept"
2 "Type_Tumor_vs_Normal"
3 "RasType_RasP_vs_RasOnly"
4 "RasType_RasP1Hit_vs_RasOnly"
5 "RasType_RasPNot_vs_RasOnly"
6 "TypeTumor.RasTypeRasP"
7 "TypeTumor.RasTypeRasP1Hit"
8 "TypeTumor.RasTypeRasPNot"

Where Normal is the base level of Type and RasOnly is the base level of RasType.

So a sample which is Normal & RasOnly is given by

log2( mu_ij / s_j) = beta_Intercept

And this sample will have

x_j. = [1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0]

A sample which is Tumor & RasPNot is given by:

log2( mu_ij / s_j) = beta_Intercept + beta_Type_Tumor_vs_Normal +
     beta_RasType_RasPNot_vs_RasOnly + beta_TypeTumor.RasTypeRasPNot

This is because, all samples get an intercept, Tumor_vs_Normal is the
log2 fold change
of tumor samples over normal, RasPNot_vs_RasOnly is the log2 fold
change of RasPNot
samples over RasOnly samples, and TypeTumor.RasTypeRasPNot is the additional
interaction term for samples which are both Tumor and RasPNot.

And so this sample will have

x_j. = [1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1]

While the classic interaction linear model can be reparametrized
sometimes to have only
group means, we recommend users to use the following setup, because we
need the intercept
for the default setting of DESeq2 which includes moderation of log2
fold changes, but not the
intercept.

Note that in DESeq2 version >= 1.3, we implement expanded model
matrices, in which case
what were base levels in this analysis will also get a log2 fold
change (i.e. there are no longer
base levels). So then this will change the constrasts, but it can be
worked out using the above steps.

Mike