[BioC] How to do Affy ST array analysis

Bernd Klaus bernd.klaus at embl.de
Wed May 7 14:57:09 CEST 2014

Hi Ninni,

I guess a very simple workflow would be:

1.read celfiles
library(oligo)
rawData = read.celfiles(< character vector of celfiles >)

2. perform RMA and get "transcript cluster" summarized data back
 using only "core" genes ("safely" annotated genes according to affy)
 this is the default in oligo.

Eset = rma(rawData,target="core")

3. Load annotation package and annotate "transcript clusters" with some
stuff contained in that package.

## load Annotation package
library("hugene20sttranscriptcluster.db")

	annotateGene = function ( db , what , missing ) {
	tab = toTable(db[intersect(featureNames(Eset),  mappedkeys(db)) ])
	mt = match ( featureNames ( Eset ) , tab$probe_id )
	ifelse ( is.na(mt), missing , tab[[ what ]][ mt ])
	}

fData(Eset)$symbol = annotateGene( hugene20sttranscriptclusterSYMBOL ,"symbol" , missing = NA )
fData(Eset)$genename = annotateGene( hugene20sttranscriptclusterGENENAME , "gene_name" , missing = NA )
fData(Eset)$ensembl = annotateGene( hugene20sttranscriptclusterENSEMBL , "ensembl_id" , missing = NA )

4. After that keep only the "transcript clusters"  that have a ENSEMBL Gene ID.
(for example)

Hope that helps,

Bernd