[BioC] Paired comparisons in EdgeR

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu May 8 16:23:28 CEST 2014

Hi Jussi,

On 5/8/2014 7:24 AM, Jussi Salmi wrote:
> Hello!
>

> Thank you for the nice software and clear user guide. I am using EdgeR to analyse RNA-seq data. In the experiment there are several cell cultures with different knock-downs. The cell cultures are stimulated in two different ways. In the end, I want to compare the treated cultures to the untreated ones. The same untreated knock-down is compared to the same treated knock-down culture. I think that the study design produces paired comparisons because the same cultures are first used as the untreated ones and then they are treated and compared against the untreated.
>
> I have come up with the following code, based on the user guide:
>
> x<-read.delim("htseqout.edger", sep=" ",row.names="Symbol")
> group<-factor(c(21,21,19,19,6,6,8,8,12,12,18,18,20,20,11,11,9,9,23...
> y<-DGEList(counts=x,group=group)
> design<-model.matrix(~0+group, data=y$samples)

You want to include a factor for treatment as well. Something like

trt <- factor(rep(1:2, length(group)/2))

design <- model.matrix(~group+trt)
fit <- glmFit(y, design)
lrt <- glmLRT(fit)
topTags(lrt)

Will give you the genes that change between treatments, after
controlling for the paired nature of your experiment.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.