[BioC] DE analysis with reference transcriptome

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:29:47 CEST 2014

hi Nicole,

Here was my response to a similar question:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2014-May/059479.html,
basically saying the same as you quote from the RSEM authors. Briefly,
you can use DESeq2 on estimated counts, with the caveat that our
software is not taking into account the uncertainty of the estimation
of counts. I am not certain about the details of the RSEM/EBSeq
handoff, so I can't comment on that. You mention,

> > I've seen the
>> "Count-based differential expression analysis of RNA sequencing data using R
>> and Bioconductor" publication online and in it is mentioned that in the case
>> of no genome, a reference transcriptome can be built, reads aligned to it
>> and counted and then the standard pipeline for differential analysis used.

It seems reasonable to try this approach as well. Regardless, I would
recommend looking at the results of any pipeline by eye, and
cross-referencing with raw data (or raw-ish data, e.g. aligned reads
to your reference transcriptome in IGV).

Mike