[BioC] edgeR calcNormFactors for paired counts

Ryan rct at thompsonclan.org
Sun May 25 00:41:19 CEST 2014

Hi Chris,

I think what you want to do here is normalize at the level of
individuals. To that end, I would generate the full count matrix for
each individual at the gene level (including all reads for each
individual, not just ones that cover heterozygous loci) and use that to
compute library sizes and normalization factors. Then I would propagate
those library sizes and normalization factors to your allele count
matrix. This will ensure that both alleles of each individual have the
same normalization, and it will also ensure that all loci are normalized
relative to the total RNA, which is not biased by where heterozygous
alleles happen to occur.

-Ryan