[BioC] edgeR factorial experiment contrasts

Jahn Davik jahn.davik at bioforsk.no
Thu Sep 4 11:16:02 CEST 2014

Hi Jim,
Thanks for clarification. Appreciate it.

For the sake of it I ran a couple of comparisons between the one-way approach that you advocate and the factorial approach. For the simple comparisons, e.g., E00 vs J00, the two approaches returned pretty much the same results.
When I did the comparison ‘average(E00+E01+E05)’ vs ‘average(E48+E96)’ the topTags were pretty much equal. Still, a big fraction (~ 15%) of the significant (FDR<.001) transcripts found in one of the groups, were not found in the other. I suspect that can be explained by including the interactions in the factorial approach and not taking them into account in the one-way approach?

Another thing about doing the factorial approach is that you end up with a contrast statement something like:

lrt <- glmLRT(fit,contrast=c(0,0,2,2,-3,-3,0,0,0,0))

(the design matrix is slightly different from the one you commented upon below) where the coefficients certainly don’t add up to zero. This comes from the ‘algebraic contortions’ as you call them. I got the impression from your correspondence with Julia Pickl on this site that contrast coefficients should sum up to zero? But that may only apply to her situation?

Finally, I would be pleased to hear thoughts on which approach is statistically ‘best’. I’ve been under the impression in statistically analyses that using the entire data set from an experiment is good practice, even if one makes simple pairwise comparison. Does edgeR do that?

Thank you.

Best,
jahn