[BioC] Trouble installing topGO package

Eric Fournier Eric.Fournier at fsaa.ulaval.ca
Fri Sep 5 19:49:43 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've been trying to install the topGO package on Linux (debian squeeze), but I keep getting this error when installing the SparseM dependency:

* installing *source* package âSparseMâ ...
** package âSparseMâ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** libs
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c bckslv.f -o bckslv.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c chol.f -o chol.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c chol2csr.f -o chol2csr.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c cholesky.f -o cholesky.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c csr.f -o csr.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c extract.f -o extract.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c sparskit.f -o sparskit.o
gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2  -c subscr.f -o subscr.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -Wl,-z,relro -o SparseM.so bckslv.o chol.o chol2csr.o cholesky.o csr.o extract.o sparskit.o subscr.o -lgfortran -lm -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/R/lib/libgfortran.a(error.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib64/R/lib/libgfortran.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [SparseM.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package âSparseMâ

This is not strictly a Bioconductor issue, but I'm way over my head, and I thought the odds were good that someone else here has stumbled into a similar issue in the past. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get this dependency to compile?

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric Fournier, B. Sc.
Research Assistant in Bioinformatics