[BioC] [devteam-bioc] parallel BAM sorting with Rsamtools

Jens Reeder jens.reeder at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 23:03:58 CEST 2014

Hi Martin,

while you are at it, Do you think you could also expose the samtools cat
command at the R level?

(from the samtools help: http://samtools.sourceforge.net/samtools.shtml)
samtools cat [-h header.sam] [-o out.bam] <in1.bam> <in2.bam> [ ... ]

While functionally this can already be done using mergeBam(), samtools cat
is way faster.
This is e.g. useful when you already have sorted bam files per chromosome
and want to combine them.

thanks
Jens