[BioC] Tissue heterogeneity and TMM normalization

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Mon Sep 8 23:23:30 CEST 2014

Hello,

I think it is clear from your charts that normalization is a concern.
Obviously you want to see an MA plot centered at zero. With your data,
as you have noticed, there appears to be a dependency between M and A.
There is nothing that TMM or any other scaling normalization method can
do to eliminate this dependency, since a scaling normalization means
that there is a single normalization factor for all genes in a sample.
You might want to investigate the use of the more complex normalization
procedures offered in the cqn or EDASeq packages. These normalizations
are variations on quantile normalization, which can remove the trend
between M and A. However, it is up to you to decide whether this trend
reflects a technical artifact that should be removed or a real
biological phenomenon that should be preserved. You can test this by
verifying that the CEG end up on the zero line of the MA plot after
normalization.

Lastly, note that having 30% of genes differentially expressed does not
violate the assumptions of TMM. With the default options, TMM trims the
top and bottom 30% of ratios, so these differentially expressed genes
will not disrupt the computation of the normalization factor. The
assumption being violated is that the assumption of a direct linear
relationship between RNA abundance and read count for all genes within a
sample. This is the assumption behind all scaling normalizations.

-Ryan