[BioC] HGU133Plus2 CDF vs hgu133plus2hsentrezgcdf CDF (30% difference in results)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Sep 15 16:58:20 CEST 2014

Another thing to consider is that the probesets for that array are based on
UniGene build 133, which was current somewhere around 10 years ago (if not
longer). That is a long time ago, considering the speed with which the
human genome has been updated, so there may be many probesets on that array
that no longer measure anything recognizable.

If you care to find out how bad (or good) the conventional Affymetrix
probeset definitions are, you could re-align the probe sequences against
the current genome and see how many are still measuring the intended
target. Or you could assume that the updated alignments from MBNI are
better, and just go with that (certainly easier, but you know what they say
about assumptions...).

Personally, I would go with option A, which would have two benefits. One,
you would get to have some fun learning how to do something different. And
really, who doesn't like that? Two, it would give you a rock-solid
rationale for your choice of CDF, which should be impressive to your
advisor because you a) thought about the problem and then b) did something
to actively quantify the differences, so you can make an informed choice.

Best,

Jim