ESS on Panther

Kieran Healy kjhealy at arizona.edu
Mon Dec 15 08:30:10 CET 2003

Hi -

I upgraded to OS X 10.3 (Panther) and installed the carbon build of GNU
Emacs 21.3.50.1 from http://mindlube.com/products/emacs/index.html.

When I load it, attempting to initialize ESS in the normal way in my .emacs
-- (load "~/elisp/ess-5.1.24/lisp/ess-site") -- gives the following error:

An error has occurred while loading `/Users/kjhealy/.emacs':

Invalid read syntax: ?

Which is sadly not very informative to me :(

Is this a known problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks,

Kieran

--
Kieran Healy, http://www.u.arizona.edu/~kjhealy
Assistant Professor, Sociology Dept, University of Arizona.