[ESS] file name completion again

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 1 11:23:54 CEST 2005

Thank you, Jean and David.

I now can re-produce your problem,
and yes, it's a bug caused by yet another incompatibility
between (GNU) emacs and Xemacs
--- actually I think two (related) incompatibilities :

1) The set of   comint-dynamic-complete-functions
   that is used when within *R* is very different for GNU emacs
   and Xemacs

2) Both
        (ess-complete-filename)                and
        (comint-replace-by-expanded-filename)
   in Xemacs, give the ominous error message
      "last thing matched was not a buffer"
   but do work in GNU emacs. Note that
       comint-replace-by-expanded-filename is part of (X)emacs itself,
   not ESS.
   Hence something it would have been good had the Xemacs
   maintainers made sure worked (the same as in Emacs).

   Anyway
   -------> something for ESS-core to fix / work around

But yes, it would have been great had we found out about the
details for this  *BEFORE* the release of ESS 5.2.9 ...
At the time, Jean first opened this topic, back in February,
I think we all believed it was just a general ESS misfeature,
and M-Tab ( = comint-replace-by-expanded-filename ) would at
least work everywhere [TAB would not for some ESS versions],
At least now, we finally see that it's an Xemacs <-> GNU emacs
compatibility problem.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich