[ESS] ESS toolbar

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 7 11:45:01 CEST 2009

> which doesn't seem to work at all. The variables mentioned,
> tool-bar-lines and auto-resize-tool-bars don't appear as options when
> I look for them under Customize. I tried
>
> (setq tool-bar-lines 2)

hi David, tool-bar-lines is not a variable -- it is a frame parameter,
as noted in the manual.  you can set it by setting the X resource
'toolbar', but unfortunately for gtk and X11, it has a maximal value of
1; from emacs lisp info, in the section on frame parameters:

`menu-bar-lines'
     The number of lines to allocate at the top of the frame for a menu
     bar.  The default is 1.  A value of `nil' means don't display a
     menu bar.  *Note Menu Bar::.  (The X toolkit and GTK allow at most
     one menu bar line; they treat larger values as 1.)

So, I'm afraid you may be stuck with that.  The only option is to use
this from ess-toolbar:

(defcustom ess-toolbar-own-icons nil
  "*Non-nil means that we only put our toolbar entries in ESS.
Otherwise we get standard toolbar as well as ESS entries.
Under Emacs, the standard toolbar items are copied from the default toolbar.
Under XEmacs, the items stored in `ess-toolbar-xemacs-general' are added."
  :group 'ess-toolbar
  :type 'boolean)

Stephen